An admirer of finely crafted anything. Will write and design at the right price.



Sepet: An Eye-opening Experience


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Let me tell you this straight off: I saw Sepet last night. And it is a lot like what I expected from Yasmin Ahmad - designed to be evenly paced, points driven through the dialogue and visuals, (just a tad) idealized view of the world but it's perfect for today's social climate. Some of my friends love it, some despise it, some doesn't know what to do with it because they don't understand the symbolism or concepts and whatnots thrown into the mix. Nevermind my friends, I love them still. Oh, I heard this from a housemate today, just moments before I lay across the floor in front of the TV, "Some writer wrote in Utusan today that Sepet disrespected Bahasa Melayu for mixing it with English and Cantonese." Or something to that effect. Nice, I thought. Some hack just had to question that. I won't say a lot. My only comment is that the language used in the film is fine, it's not sickening to hear nor does it come off as pretentious. Language is a treasure when it means something to the receiver. Else, it's called "trash talk". Period.

Sepet it is a love story well as well as a social critique. And just like thousands of audiences who have watched it, I just want to say, "Congratulations".


0 Responses to “Sepet: An Eye-opening Experience”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


author

previously on transit

archives


ATOM 0.3 - transit feed

Who links to me

Creative Commons License



All posts are for educational and informative purposes. Should any copyright infringement occur, please inform me and I will remove the said contents as soon as humanly possible. Thank you. Powered by lack of talent but made up by passion and Blogger Templates